Skip to main content

Star Wars Read-Through Part 21: Republic Commando: Seeing Through the Eyes of the Clones

So far, most of the Clone Wars stories we have read have focussed on the adventures of the Jedi, especially Anakin Skywalker as he journeys toward his promotion to Jedi Knight, and his master Obi-Wan Kenobi.

But not all Clone Wars stories are stories of Jedi heroism. The video game Republic Commando puts us in the armor of a particularly well trained clone and the rest of his commando squad. Accompanying this well received game was a series of novels which also went on to further develop lore surrounding the training of the clone army and the culture of the Mandalorians. 

For this post, I read the following stories: 

I read the paperback versions of the three novels. Omega Squad: Targets and Odds were both printed in the backs of Triple Zero and True Colors, respectively. I played the Steam edition of the Republic Commando game.

Note that I am going to streamline this blog a bit, and I'm cutting the "Story" portion. Sometimes I read these books long enough ago that I rely on Wookieepedia summaries to write the short bit about the book/comic/etc. Instead I'll stick with a broader discussion on my thoughts.



Thoughts:

The Republic Commando series of novels is an excellent exploration of clone characters. Each squad is composed of four commandos and in a perfect situation the four were trained together since birth. In the case of Delta Squad, the team remained together until the end of the final mission of the game, but Omega Squad was composed of survivors from other squads whose other members died in the horror of the Battle of Geonosis. 

I also greatly appreciated the development and exploration of Mandalorian culture through the eyes of Kal Skirata, a bounty hunter who had been tasked by Jango Fett to train the clone commandos. His style inspired a form of loyalty that would draw in more than just his commandos. We also got a clear view of how terrible the Kaminoans treated the clones, given they were viewed as property and not living men. 

There are two more stories in the Republic Commando series which I am intentionally waiting to read later, because they are set at the end of the Clone Wars and in the early Imperial period, respectively. I will comment more on the conclusion of this series then.

The game, unfortunately, did not draw me in as well as it drew in others. I found the combat mechanics boring and each mission far too long. There were only three missions, each with many (too many, in my opinion) sub-missions. I would have preferred shorter missions in more settings, perhaps like the Rainbow Six commando games.

Next: 

The next batch of Star Wars Legends stories to read are the Boba Fett middle-grade books. 

Comments

Popular Posts

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

Star Wars Read-Through #8: Prelude to The Phantom Menace, Part 1 of 3

By this time, I've read every Star Wars Legends story that was set centuries or more before any Star Wars film.  We covered the formation of the Jedi Order in Dawn of the Jedi , and we saw countless wars between the Jedi and the Sith in Tales of the Jedi , Knights of the Old Republic , The Old Republic , and Knight Errant .  We learned the history of the Lost Tribe of the Sith .  We saw the culmination of those wars, the end of the Sith as we knew them, and the start of a new period of Republic stability.  Now we move into stories set close to the Star Wars movies. There are a lot of stories set in the years leading up to Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace .  In order to organize them effectively, I've separated them into three segments.  The first will deal with stories featuring Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, two of Episode I's protagonists.  Specifically, we will discuss the following: Jedi: The Dark Side 1-5 (comic by Scott Allie , 2011) Qui-Gon and O

Star Wars Readthrough Part 3: Knights of the Old Republic: On video games and comics

The next items on my chronological read-through of Star Wars Legends stories are those associated with Knights of the Old Republic. This is the first time I won't be merely discussing novels or comics, but other media such as video games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.  Image from Wookieepedia. For this review, I consumed the following material: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 0-50 (comic by John Jackson Miller and various artists, 2006-2010) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Handbook (comic handbook by John Jackson Miller and various artists, 2007) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republc: War 1-5 (comic by John Jackson Miller and Andrea Mutti , 2012) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (video game by BioWare , 2003) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (video game by Obsidian Entertainment , 2005) I read the handbook as a comic issue, but the remain comics were read in my copies of Omnibus: Knights of the Old R