Skip to main content

Beds Needed in Shelter for Homeless RPG Bloggers

The first thing that hits you, even before the smell, is the pervasive feeling of despair.

Or at least, that's the first thing I notice when I step into Saint Morrigon's Mission, a shelter and kitchen many consider to be the last place where Star Trek-focussed RPG bloggers can get a meal, a warm bed, and a wi-fi connection.

Image result for free to use images of homeless people on phones

I spoke briefly with Jane Sinclair, the one-woman team who single-handedly runs Saint Morrigon's. 

"Look at all these poor souls," Jane said, gesturing to rows after rows of beds filled with people typing away on their phones. "It seems wherever they go, they do something that pisses someone off. Within a few days, they're banned."

I spoke briefly with one of the people living at Saint Morrigon’s. "I show up, post a few articles, and within a week I’m on the streets!" said a person identified as Major Tom. He showed me some of his work and I understood why. To verify my understanding, I tracked down a few of those in charge of RPG networks.

"They’re a danger to the public good," said one identified only as KTF. "Most of my players get angry when they read the articles, and an angry writer is a bad writer!"

Amanda Rose was a bit more lenient. "His articles are crap, but he skewers all the right people." That’s what she told me when we first spoke two weeks ago. Since then, Major Tom and his staff were evicted from Ms. Rose’s website too. When I followed up, the only thing she said was "He knows what he did."

I tried to get a comment from the head of Delta Fleet, but was turned away by an extremely zealous guard. When I woke up the next day, I found I had one fewer Discord servers on my account. 

One game manager, who spoke with me on condition of anonymity, said he likes the articles. "I can't afford to be associated with him," he explained from behind a shadow and through a voice-changing machine he brought himself. "But I love most Major Tom articles. Sometimes they're stupid, but most of the time they're pretty funny. I chuckle a bit, I guess.” He then looked side to side, as if checking that the coast remained clear. "But if I say anything complimentary, I'm sure to end up at Saint Morrigon's, too," he whispered. He then immediately went to a different table and started writing on his tablet, ignoring me completely.

So here he is now, on an uncomfortable mattress at a homeless shelter, scrambling to find an audience as people continue to kick him and those like him from their servers. Major Tom continues to write his articles. Next to him sits Lieutenant Dan, in a torn Starfleet uniform three generations old, laughing at the jokes he’s coming up with. Elsewhere on the internet, a few people laugh, most scowl, and enough of the latter exercise their rights to remove him from their property.

One day, he may change. He may decide he wants to play with the others. He’ll turn a new leaf, shut down his Outpost 42 website, say goodbye to his dozen loyal readers, and apply to a sim. But as I look at him and his writing partner, I can tell that they’re in too deep. Nothing short of complete withdrawal from the internet will break their habit. Addicted to the satire and unable to keep a roof over their head, they will continue writing until they inevitably bite the hand that literally feeds them, making some joke at Saint Morrigon’s expense.

"But it will be worth it!" Tom said, as he hit ‘publish’ on his and Tom’s latest article. "We’ll get a new reader this time! I’m sure of it!"

I silently hope that his Baker’s Dozen loyal readership knows how he lives. What it’s costing him. And what the long term consequence will undoubtedly be.

****

This was my entry for the Outpost42.com satire challenge. I enjoy a lot of the (extremely niche but often funny) articles that get published there, and when the lead writer opened himself up for a satire challenge, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try my hand at writing Online Star Trek Roleplaying Game satire. 

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though

Star Wars Read-Through Part 19: Clone Wars Adventures: Tartakovsky's Dream

In November 2003, the Clone Wars animated series premiered on Cartoon Network. Composed of at first ten very short (approximately four minutes each) episodes, these cartoons told stories of the Jedi and Sith, of Republic and Separatists, of light and dark set between Attack of the Clones and the then-unreleased Revenger of the Sith . Kids were treated to Star Wars on television for the first time since the 1980s. This cartoon was written and directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, an animator with a very distinctive style whose other works included Dexter's Laboratory , The Powerpuff Girls , and Samurai Jack . The new show lines up with his style, and he was able to create truly massive battle scenes between the grand armies of the Republic and Separatists.  Characters of very similar animation style from three Genndy Tartakovsky series: Dexter's Laboratory , The Powerpuff Girls , and Star Wars: Clone Wars . Images from Google Every episode was aired in a five-minute timeslot on Carto