Skip to main content

How a Youtube maths educator showed me my blog needed a new focus

This past Saturday, I was sitting in our basement TV room watching Youtube while my wife was enjoying the latest show she found on Netflix in another room.  I decided to browse the video feed of Vi Hart, who usually makes videos about maths, music, and virtual reality.

In this one video, which I had seen years ago but not watched since, Vi Hart describes twelve tone music, also called atonal music.  She refers to the importance of shared context, and how context (for example, imagining a background piano accompaniment) helps interpret and understand the music.  She also compares it to strangers singing their favourite pop hit on the bus -- they head the background, but you don't and it sounds meaningless -- or coworkers telling you about TV or sports you don't watch.  Without the context of background music (or an understanding of the TV show or sport) being presented, it is literally meaningless.  

It's a long video, but the music and lessons in it are both quite beautiful.  I encourage you to watch the whole thing, but the specific point I'm making comes from 3:25 to 4:18.

"Twelve Tones" by Vi Hart.  A fantastic video.  Watch to at least 4:18 for the specific point I'm making here.  But then watch the whole thing.


All that to say is I've come to realize that my blog and its readership (such as it is) generally lack shared context.  I'm writing about the books I'm reading, but nobody in my circle of friends is reading the same thing, or are they likely to.

So that requires a change of focus.

By far the most viewed post I wrote was my letter to my daughter on her six-month birthday.  A number of people even shared kind words with me after they read it.  I'm told close friends and family read my other posts, noting that they often don't know what I'm talking about but read anyways.  This is a very sweet gesture, and I deeply appreciate it.  But the lack of shared context means most people who read my blog aren't getting much out of it.

A few things are staying the same:
  • My Star Wars Read-Through is important to me.  I will continue writing about these, and sharing my views with the various Star Wars fan communities I'm in.
  • I will continue to read other comics and novels and write about them, but unless the novel has wide appeal, or unless I have some specific thoughts to share, I won't make specific posts about them.
As a new way forward, I'll blog a bit more about personal experiences.  I took my daughter to the Canadian Museum of Agriculture and Food this weekend; I will write something soon about that.  I recently traveled for work, and I'm about to again.  

I'm thinking I will conclude my posts with a short segment on what I've recently finished reading.  That way, I can still write about what I'm reading (the original premise of the blog) but also share some more meaningful stories of my own life.

It is my hope that, by introducing shared context, the people who read my blog will get a bit more out of the experience.




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though