Skip to main content

Early 90s X-Men Solo Minis - great one-off stories

As I prepare to read the X-Men crossover event Onslaught from the mid 1990s (after having read the Phalanx Covenant, Legion Quest, and Age of Apocalypse crossovers and most intervening issues of Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Generation X, Excalibur, and Wolverine), I read several X-Men solo miniseries (by which I mean, comic book series that were planned to be only a few issues long, focussing on one or two individual X-Men characters) from that time period.

In this post, I'll be discussing four such miniseries:
I purchased these comics on Comixology during various 99 cent sales.  Though the Gambit and Rogue series are tightly bound, the others have little to do with each other, so I am skipping my regular "Story" segment.

Cover of Gambit #1.  Image from Marvel Wiki.


Thoughts:

Wolverine and Rogue have been among my favourite X-Men characters since I first became familiar with the franchise.  But until recently I hadn't read many -- or any -- of their solo adventures in this time period.  On the other hand, I have generally little experience with Gambit and Storm.  I never understood Storm's wide appeal, and I simply lack the experience with Gambit.  Reading these four miniseries helped give greater insight into why they are so well loved.

The Gambit and Rogue miniseries told a great story together about Gambit's past and his connections to the Thieves' Guild and Assassins' Guild of New Orleans, as well as to the immortal mutant Candra.  It adds more depth and detail to the star-crossed romance of these two mutants, as well as the general tragedy that is Rogue and her inability to touch anyone.

Cover of Rogue #4.  Image from Marvel Wiki.
The Wolverine and Gambit adventure was a fun romp for the reader as these two characters pair up in London.  Connecting Wolverine to a series of Jack the Ripper-style murders was a fascinating idea, especially given Wolverine's animalistic and uncontrollable tendencies during this time period (where he had lost his adamantium skeleton and was going feral outside of the Xavier school).  Loeb and Sale would of course continue teaming up for years, writing in particular some amazing Batman stories.

Cover of Wolverine/Gambit: Victims #1.  Image from Marvel Wiki.
Though Warren Ellis is one of my favourite comic book writers of all time (and I am annoyed that I haven't yet read his more famous works), try as he might he could not sway me to care any more about Storm.  In this story, Storm is pulled into a pocket dimension in order to help shepherd a mutant terrorist organization called Gene Nation, who are currently led by Mikhail Rasputin (evil older brother of fellow X-Man Colossus).  She manages to escape the pocket dimension and sets the other mutants there free.  This story built upon her role as the former leader of the Morlocks (a group of downtrodden and disfigured mutants that were trapped in the pocket dimension, the most extreme of which formed Gene Nation), and it was very well written and drawn.  I remain unconvinced, however, that Storm is a character to whom I must pay close attention.  Until some later story convinces me that she is as great as others seem to think.

Next: In a rough chronological reading of 90s X-Men titles, I will be reading the Onslaught crossover event.



Comments

Popular Posts

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though