Skip to main content

Will write about what I'm reading

I plan to use this blog to do short write-ups about the novels, comic books, graphic novels (or, more generally, comic books collected in bound books), and nonfiction. I may als write about a fun video game or a movie, or some part of my real life (visits to cool places, for example; I often write a "Thoughts from Places" email for my wife if I'm traveling for work and she's not able to join me).

I try to read a lot, but I do it in a bit of a disjointed manner.  I sometimes find myself reading multiple books at once, and since I don't read very fast, it takes a while to go through any one title.

Here's a summary of what I'm reading right now:


  1. Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived (a novel by Paul S. Kemp), as part of a chronological Star Wars books and comics;
  2. Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War (nonfiction by Mary Roach, one of my favourite science writers);
  3. A chronological read-through of X-Men comics, ca. 2008 onward (I'm currently in 2010, but as the next item on that read is the first six issues of Marjorie Liu's X-23, I wanted to read other X-23 books first);
  4. I make a point to read all comic issues I buy a second time before I file them; I'm currently re-reading my Secret Wars (2015) comics;
  5. Assorted 90s X-Men comics, in rough chronological order (about to start Onslaught); and
  6. Assorted books and comics, if anything random grabs my interest.

So that's a lot. I might get bored with one and set it aside (easy with comics, harder with novels).  But it's fun to have some variety in what you read.

I'm particularly looking forward to finishing Grunt.  I've read other books by Mary Roach before, and I've heard her interviewed on some of my favourite podcasts.  The way she tackles a subject is brilliant and incredibly easy to follow.

Mary Roach is one of my favourite science writers. Image from Indigo,ca

Every now and then, whenever I've finished a book or a comic arc, I'll discuss it here.  I hope others will find it interesting.

Currently working on the X-23 Complete Collection Volume 1.  Image from Amazon.ca
My next post ought to be in a few days, to discuss some of the X-23 books I've read.

-Andrew aka Taral

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though