Skip to main content

Russian Olive to Red King: A reminder that I often don't "get" art

In my long daily commutes to and from work, I generally listen to podcasts to help pass the time.  One such show, the iFanboy Pick of the Week podcast, produced a weekly program reviewing the comic books that came out the previous week.  Through them, I've tried a number of new books that I never would have found otherwise.

Every second month, the people at iFanboy release a "Booksplode" edition, wherein they read a graphic novel and discuss it at length, not unlike a book club.  I usually skip these, as they normally read a book about which I care little.

However, in January 2017, the book discussed by the iFanboy team caught my attention.  They were reading "Russian Olive to Red King", an original graphic novel written by Kathryn Immonen and drawn by her husband, Stuart Immonen,  I had not heard of the book, but I've enjoyed stories written by Ms. Immonen and absolutely love the art on some books drawn by Mr. Immonen.  I found the graphic novel at my local library, so I decided to give it a read, and then listen to the podcast.

Image from Amazon.ca

Story:

There are two elements of this book, a graphic novel taking up the first three quarters of pages, and an essay taking up the remainder.

In the story, a woman named Olive lives with her boyfriend, a man named Red, and her dog.  Olive goes on a small plane trip to study some Russian glyphs found somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.  Her plane crashes, and while she survives, she is stuck.  Meanwhile, Red and the dog await her return, but it becomes clear that she isn't.  It's an emotional track downwards as he realizes the woman he loves is gone.

The essay is framed in a weird way; a narrow column of text, representing one short paragraph per page.  It appears to be the story of a man with a rather mundane life, who hopes to one day find out what happened to his father, who abandoned his family years earlier.  There are comparisons to the death of the famous Jumbo the Elephant.

Thoughts:

In situations such as this, I often go back to the simple idea that I often don't "get" art.  I've been to a few art museums where I can appreciate a beautiful painting or sculpture, but then find some modern piece and it confuses me.

When visiting Luzern, Switzerland last November, I visited the "Kunstmuseum" (museum of art).  I would not have gone, but I felt I had not spent enough time in the city, and it was next to the train station.  I had little to lose, and it was reasonably priced.  The paintings and sculptures in the permanent exhibit were lovely, and though there wasn't enough accompanying information to help me understand the meaning, I enjoyed what I saw.  But the temporary exhibit was a piece by Laure Prouvost called "And she will say, Hi her, Ailleurs, to higher ground..."  I didn't "get" it.  More to the point, the weirdness of it all assaulted the senses in a way I found deeply uncomfortable.  I walked through the entire exhibit, but was so anxious that I wanted to leave the entire time.  Later on, I looked into the artist and the exhibit, and it appeared this was not the intent.  It was here that I really embraced the conclusion that there is some art that just goes over my head.

This is how I felt about the latter half of this book.

The main part of the graphic novel, the story of Olive and Red, worked for me.  We don't get much about their lives, but we get enough to know that they're in love.  I can empathize with Red in his feelings of loss and despair, thinking first that the love of his life has left him, learning of her plane crash, and slowly falling into despair as he realizes she isn't coming back.  This part was effective, in that I was made to feel what the character felt.

I should also mention that Stuart Immonen's art is fantastic.

The latter part though did nothing but confuse me.  The essay, presented in narrow columns as if it's poetry, along with photos of broken windows on a warehouse building, seemed unrelated to the story I had just read.  I later learned that it was supposed to be the essay Red writes for his friend's art pamphlet, but I didn't get that from context.  I didn't get the comparison of the death of Jumbo the Elephant, being abandoned by his father, and Olive's disappearance.  That latter connection never even occurred to me, and I still don't see it.

Listening to the iFanboy podcast, I found my opinion falling in between theirs.  One cast member hated the book in its entirety, not caring about the characters and finding the essay pretentious.  The other two loved it.  I was in the middle, really enjoying the first half, but hating the second.

This book would be absolutely amazing, if it ended on the tragedy of Olive and Red.  But the artsy essay that followed negatively impacted my enjoyment of the story.  If you're a big fan of the Immonens, and have more patience with "art" than I, then please give this a read.  If necessary, stop when the art stops.  And perhaps I won't be so immediately drawn in by a creative team I like.

Comments

Popular Posts

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though